Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I dye for these.

So last night, I decided to bite the bullet and Ombre dip dye the shirt I made last weekend. I went to my local (not favorite) craft store and bought some Rit liquid dye in Wine. I followed the directions from the Rit website, but I cut everything in half (except the dye measurement, because I wanted dark color). I also made another shirt for my mom, 'cause she said she wanted one...the only problem is, I dyed each shirt differently and now I can't decide which I like more.


Before
I dipped the shirt in half way for about 15 secsonds. Then I lifted it just a few inches and held it up for 2 minutes.Then lifted it up another few inches for 5 minutes. And for the back "tail" I rigged up the hanger on my kitchen cabinets (yes. I had to get a chair to reach.) and let it sit in the dye for 10 minutes. For the second shirt I then dipped the top half of the shirt (previously white) into the dye just long enough to cover it. Then I rinsed the shirts in my kitchen sink until the water ran clear, and hung them in my shower so that they could air dry.




 I untied the seam from the racer backs and fully dyed them so that they would be the darkest shade of wine and would contrast on both shirts.  I think they turned out nicely and now I can't wait to Ombre dye some other things...there is a beautiful Teal that I can't wait to try!



1 comment: